Standing on the Word Worldwide Ministries
To Make Him Known
Training to make a Difference
Dr. Sharon Hazelwood
LORD, TEACH US TO PRAY
Prayer is as essential to our spiritual life as breathing is to our natural life. We cannot live effectively for God without a healthy prayer life and we certainly cannot be effective in any kind of ministry without a consistent prayer life.
1. DEFINING THE INDEFINABLE – WHAT IS PRAYER?
a. Prayer is essentially a spiritual activity.
b. Prayer is “Drawing near to God.”
c. Prayer is spending quality time with God
d. Prayer is a two-way conversation.
e. Prayer is sharing our heart with God.
f. Prayer involves waiting upon God.
g. Prayer implies surrender to the Master’s Will.
2. WHY WE SHOULD PRAY.
a. Because God wants us to fellowship with Him.
b. Because we humble ourselves when we pray.
c. Because we discipline our souls when we pray.
d. Because we acknowledge and express our dependence on God.
e. Because we deny ourselves when we pray.
f. Because Prayer is an essential aspect of our relationship with God.
g. Because God meets our needs through Prayer.
h. Because God answers Prayer.
ESTABLISHING AN EFFECTIVE PRAYER LIFE
The whole purpose of prayer is to build a personal relationship with the Lord. This can only be done as we learn to wait in His Presence so that He is able to share the intimate secrets of His heart with us.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF PRAYER?
1. Ministry to the Lord.
2. Fellowship-or Communion with the Lord
3. Prayer is the responsibility of every Christian.
4. Compassion for other peoples’ distresses.
RESULTS OF PRAYER
1. Prayer brings results for the Kingdom and God is pleased.
2. Prayer opens your spiritual eyes.
3. Through prayer you receive revelation.
4. Prayer helps you to rest in him.
5. By praying in spiritual warfare you are able to pull down satan’s strongholds.
THE MANNER OF PRAYING
WHEN SHOULD WE PRAY?
WHAT LENGTH OF TIME DO WE NEED TO PRAY?
TYPES OF PRAYER
WHY DO PRAYERS SOMETIMES SEEM TO GO UNANSWERED?